“Therefore lay aside all filthiness and overflow of wickedness, and receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to save your souls. But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves…” (James 1:20-22)
Join us tonight at 6:30 p.m. as we conclude our study on the Parable of the Soils with a consideration of how we can become more fruitful hearers of God’s Word.
Cleanse our Hearts
- lit., a once-for-all “laying aside”
- “repentance” is the theological term
- do this before you approach the word
Receive God’s Word
- meekness is the manner described
- it means complete openness to hear
- it will silence all “ifs, ands, and buts”
Obey God’s Commands
- forgetful hearing is the danger
- “sunday religion” is declared useless
- practical piety is where blessing is found
Grace Reformed Church is committed to providing free exegetical and reformed Bible study guides online. Please feel free to use or share these outlines as you please (with appropriate attribution).